POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Motion Blur Question... : Re: Motion Blur Question... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motion Blur Question...
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 19 Dec 1999 16:53:26
Message: <385d53d6@news.povray.org>
Colin Doncaster <col### [at] bentanimationcom> wrote...
>     Hmm, I beleive jittering the motion blur sample is the actual defacto
way
> of handling motion blur so a minimal sample amount is needed, at least in
> distributed raytracer.  (is POV a distributed ray tracer?)  Jittering the
ray
> (or sample) is what gives you the blurred reflections and refractions,
soft
> shadows, DOF etc.. ( 262 and 265 in Andvanced Animation and Rendering
> Techniques - Mark and Alan Watt).

Is POV a distributed ray tracer?  Yes and No.

Technically, no.  But area lights use distributed techniques.  And then
someone added focal blur.  And now MegaPov has blurred reflections (and
blurred transparancy if anyone ever gets around to writing the code).
Unfortunately, focal blur and blurred reflections do not work together (by
sharing samples) automatically (although if you use focal blur, you could
then get by with one sample for blurred reflections and probably nobody
would notice).

Anyway, at its core, POV was not designed for animation, so all objects in a
scene are static.  Therefore, it would be quite difficult to jitter an
object in the time domain during rendering.

-Nathan